Paul Ferro, GISP
Senior GIS Analyst, Web Services
Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries, Portland Office
800 NE Oregon St., Suite 965
Portland OR 97232
phone: (971) 673-0628
fax: (971) 673-1562
- Bachelor of Science (BS), 1997, Environmental Geosciences – Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
- 2012, Certified GIS Professional (GISP), GIS Certificate Institute
- 2012 URISA Pro/NWGIS User Group Planning Committee
- 2005-present NW GIS User Group Board of Directors
- 2006-7, 2009-10 NW GIS User Group President
- 2009 NW GIS User Group Annual Conference Chair
- 2005 NW GIS User Group Annual Conference Co-Chair
Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI), Portland, OR, May 2010-present
- Manage the development and deployment of DOGAMI’s web mapping applications and web services. Recent web applications:
- Author, publish, and maintain web services. Perform ArcGIS Server 10 administration, hosting, caching, and security. Document, test, and debug all aspects of software applications.
- Deploy and customize ArcPad 10 to streamline GPS field data collection, as well as collect RTK GPS data in the field for DOGAMI lidar acquisition projects throughout the State of Oregon. Develop mobile maps for field QC using the Google Maps API.
- Modeling and mapping of tsunami inundation for Oregon's coastline. Through the use of ModelBuilder and terrain datasets, produced a model that automates the production of tsunami inundation vector and raster GIS files from the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) hydrodynamic model. Funded through NOAA's National Tsunami Hazards Mitigation Program.
Other Work Experience
- June 2008 – May 2010 - GIS Trainer and Consultant, geotrek_GIS, Oregon
- June 2008 – May 2010 – GIS Analyst and Trainer, Juniper GIS Services, Bend, Oregon
- June 2002 – May 2005 – Wildlands GIS Mapping Specialist, Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA), Bend, Oregon
- May 2005 – May 2008 – GIS Specialist, BendBroadband, Bend, Oregon
- December 2003 – May 2005 – GIS Specialist, Redmond, Oregon
- March - August 2003, May – August 2001– GIS Technician, Geo-Spatial Solutions, Inc., Bend, Oregon
- January – June 2002 – Geoscience Technician, Materials Testing and Inspection, Bend, Oregon
- DOGAMI Special Paper 43, Simulating tsunami inundation at Bandon, Coos County, Oregon, using hypothetical Cascadia and Alaska earthquake scenarios, by R. C. Witter, Y. Zhang, K. Wang, G. R. Priest, C. Goldfinger, L. L. Stimely, J. T. English, and P. A. Ferro
- DOGAMI Interactive Maps
- ArcGIS.com DOGAMI Web Content
- 2011 GIS in Action Map Contest Winner: "Tsunami Inundation Hazard and Inundation Exposure Risk Maps, City of Bandon, Oregon"
- 2011 Guest presenter for Portland Community College Field Geography GPS and GIS Class: "Conducting Surveys with RTK GPS Technology and ArcPad"
- 2011 Esri Developer Meet-up: "Development of DOGAMI's Lidar Viewer"
- 2012 GIS in Action – Web Applications for GIS Session : "Serving up Lidar Using the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex and ArcGIS Server 10"
- 2012 Oregon API User Group Demo: "Development of DOGAMI's Web Mapping Hazard Applications Using the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex"
- Web mapping applications and services
- Visualization of lidar
- ModelBuilder and Python scripting
- Mobile application development
- ArcPad and GPS
Last Updated: May 2012