Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries, Portland Office
800 NE Oregon St., Suite 965
Portland OR 97232
phone: (971) 673-0702
fax: (971) 673-1562
Active and Recently Completed Projects
- Currently working on updating the statewide geologic database (OGDC: Oregon Geologic Data Compilation)
- Characterized natural hazards facing ~6000 state-owned assets for the state Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan. Period: 2013-2014.
- Modeled shear-wave velocities (Vs30) and subsurface geology in the Portland metropolitan area from drillholes. Digitized and interpreted 9000+ drillholes, created scripts/models to develop TIN-based 3D tops and bottoms of each unit (23 altogether), and, from the 3D models, derived a Vs30 shear-wave velocity model after creating generalized Vs30 profiles for each 3D unit. Period: 2012-2013.
- Assisted with cartography and data management for coastal tsunami inundation project. Period: 2012.
- Spatial and geologic modeling
- Geospatial data management
- Database design and integrating SQL in to GIS workflows
- Vehicle routing and transportation network analysis/modeling
- Asset management
- Post-fire debris flows
- Tectonics, tectonic geomorphology, and structural geology
- Detrital zircon (U-Pb) geochronology
- Cenozoic paleogeography of the Cordillera
- Salt tectonics
- Deepwater depositional systems
- Seismic interpretation (2D and 3D)
- 2007-2010, M.S. Geosciences, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana.
- 1997-2002, B.A. Geography, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA)
- Geological Society of America (GSA)
Publications and Presentations
- Roe, W.P. and Madin, I.P, 2013, 3D geology and shear-wave velocity models of the Portland, Oregon, metropolitan area: Portland, Oreg., Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries, Open-File Report O-13-12, 59p.
- Roe, W.P., 2010, “Field guide to Tertiary outcrops of the Big Hole Valley—Anaconda to Big Hole Pass,” Northwest Geology, vol. 39, pp. 101-112
- “A Practical Approach to Routing”, Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, 2006.
- "Building a Routing Network from Legacy Centerlines in Washington DC", Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) Annual Conference, Reno, NV, 2004.
- Roe, Warren P., 2010, "Tertiary Sediments of the Big Hole Valley and Pioneer Mountains, Southwestern Montana: Age, Provenance, and Tectonic Implications," M.S. thesis, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana.
Last Updated: February 4, 2014