(Image credit: Washington Geological Survey "Volcano Hazards in Washington State" brochure)
May is Volcano Awareness Month
May 18 is the anniversary of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption. Volcanoes do not erupt often but when they do, they can be deadly. Talk with your local emergency management agency to learn about evacuation and shelter plans, and for ways to protect yourself and your home from ash.
- Oregon Emergency Management's Volcanoes page
- Volcano Hazards in Washington State brochure from our neighbors to the north, Washington Geological Survey
- Cascades Volcano Observatory
- Pacific Northwest Seismic Network - earthquakes near volcanoes
- Interactive map of U.S. Volcanoes and Current Activity Alerts